It's a Boy

It's a Boy

Friday, November 19, 2010

Parenting 101

I took a lot of classes in college, and most of them I didn't end up needing. But my oh my, how I wish there was a class in parenting. Last month I told Pat we would buy the car seat and stroller and create our registry in November. First lesson - be prepared. My idea of prepared was having a bassinet and a plastic bin of hand-me-down clothes. On November 5 I had conferences at work. I had on my "To Do List" to organize my Guided Reading notebook. I did my conferences, and opted to organize notebook Monday. Lesson two- don't procrastinate. From my hospital bed I thought of how embarrassed I would be for someone to see my notebook, lesson learned.  I planned on going to a wedding on November sixth, Mason changed those plans. I knew that after my appointment I would go to Target and buy a gift. Third lesson- kids call the shots.  I'm gonna try the breast feeding thing. This means that I have to pump quite often (I swear it's every hour). Just when I think I can run an errand, my stained shirt tells me otherwise. And when it's 7 a.m. and there is no baby here, I still have to pump. Lesson four- pumping is a beast. There are lots of things I could add to the syllabus for this class, but I know I am a freshman in this class of many. But you sure do learn these lessons mighty fast. I know I am on the fast track to a Ph.D., too bad my pay won't reflect it. I guess Mason will have to be the evidence of my hard work. That's a fair trade.

No comments:

Post a Comment